Thursday, August 18, 2011

Our Days Will End

Many in our society struggle to let go and say goodbye.  The Christian Tradition, while providing us healthy optimism for resurrection hope (so long as we, of that Tradition, aren't going around condemning everyone not like us to hell in the process;).  

Perhaps because of this anticipation of eternal life, we struggle to let things go and acknowledge that we don't understand what the reality of resurrection means for our lives, nor, because of the resurrection, escape the inevitability of death and its consequences, namely separation and loss, particularly for those we leave behind.

The Buddhist Tradition has language that helps to come to grips with the reality of life's finalities.  I think it could be very healthy for us Christians to pay attention to this language so that we may be better suited to face that reality.  We affirm life's sacredness. Might we affirm the sacredness of death as well.  We celebrate beginnings, might we also learn to celebrate endings.  A breathing practice (from Larry Rasmussen's forthcoming book: New Kind of Creature):


Breathing in, I know that I am of the nature
to grow old.
Breathing out, I know I cannot escape old age.
Breathing in, I know that I am of the nature
to get sick
Breathing out, I know that I cannot escape sickness.
Breathing in, I know that I am of the nature
to die.
Breathing out, I know that I cannot escape dying.
Breathing in, I know that one day I will have to
let go of everything and everyone I cherish.
Breathing out, there is no way to bring them
along.
Breathing in, I know that I take nothing with me
except my actions, thoughts, and deeds.
Breathing out, my actions comes with me.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment