Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oil Slicks in my driveway

The stains and spots in my driveway from oil leaks are ugly, they don't go away, rather become more prominent month my month. Maybe I should get that leak fixed.

I can't imagine the devestation the oil spill will cause to harmless wildlife who have evolved on the Gulf Coast for centuries. It makes my stomach churn to think of the suffering that will be caused. What a shame that for our convenience and addiction to petroleum wildlife must suffer in this way, not to mention the people whose lives depend on this wildlife, and I'm not talking about those who will have to pay more money to eat oysters.

A book that looks interesting, as well as a NYTimes op-ed writen by the same author may be found here.
Rather than getting the leak fixed on my car, maybe I'll sell it, encourage people to use less energy fueled by petroleum in their day-to-day lives, and lobby for new energy policies. What do you know: our own NM senator, Jeff Bingamen is Chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
Sounds like a good place to start.

Tony Campolo in It's Friday, But Sunday's Comin' suggested that a true follower of Jesus wouldn't drive a BMW (noting that hundreds of kids could be fed and given an education for the amount that a BMW costs). I wonder what Jesus would think about us driving anything gas consuming vehicle at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment