Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's 5 am...what would you do?

Bam Bam Bam Bam! The knock at the door is persistent and getting louder.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"It's five," she says. I put a pillow over my head to try and muffle out the noise.

Bam bam bam bam....

"Who would be knocking on our door at 5 in the morning? Maybe they will just go away."

Bam bam bam bam....

I get up.
"Be careful, dear; don't unlock the latch."

I stumble outside our bedroom door to see police lights flashing outside the house.

Bam Bam Bam Bam....

"Coming..."

Half asleep, I approach the door, "Is it the cops?" I ask, kind of flippently.

"Santa Fe Police Department"

I undo the latch and open the door, barefoot, in shorts, no shirt.

"Sir, sorry to disturb you at this hour."

I nod, rubbing my eyes to try and get them to open.

"The trunk of your car was open. Would you please inspect your trunk to see if anything has been taken from it."

"Dang. Did I leave the trunk open last night? Did someone break in my car?" I think to myself.
I gingerly walk along the path trying to avoid stepping on small pebbles.

I inspect the trunk....looks like I left it open last night, "Nothing's missing, officer."

"If you find anything unusual let the police department know. Have a good night."

"Thank you."

I walk back to the house and climb in bed.

If a police officer approached your house at 5 am, pounding on the door, what might you suspect? I thought about immigrants, and homeless people who sleep in parks. Maybe someone who is hiding from the law. Who might have been reluctant to open that door, and why?

Before opening that door, I had no idea why a police officer would have stopped by my house to pound on the door at 5 am.

Thankfully, everything was okay. And to the officer's credit, he was very polite, respectful, and I appreciate knowing that someone is keeping an eye out at that hour of the morning. Thanks, officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment